October 17, 2009, National Outreach — Stand Up Against Poverty Event
Purpose of the Event
The purpose of the National Outreach — Stand Up Against Poverty Event is to grow the number of RESULTS activists working to end poverty, plain and simple. We are undertaking this as a national effort so that we can provide every group to do great outreach at the same time, and to build momentum and excitement across the nation. We’ve teamed up with the Millennium Campaign to have our outreach event coincide with the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty and the international Stand Up, Take Action event occurring that weekend.
*Join Our Event Via Phone or Video Conference!*
Special phone and video conferencing! You can join the conference via phone (866) 699-3239, meeting number 660 716 498 ## or join by video conference. Please remember that we will have a special call-in number for this event. The regular conference call number will not work! Download Instructions: Word, PDF.
Special Guest: Dr. Paul Farmer
For this special event, we are honored to be joined by Dr. Paul Farmer, the founder of Partners in Health, an international charity organization that provides direct health care services and undertakes research and advocacy activities on behalf of those who are sick and living in poverty. Subject of the book Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder, he is internationally known for his pioneering work in community-based treatment strategies for AIDS and tuberculosis (including multidrug-resistant TB) and his focus on diseases that disproportionately afflict the poor. Read Dr. Farmer’s biography and watch a video of him in “I Believe in Health Care as a Human Right.”
How to Connect to Our Event Via Phone or Video Conference
Connecting Via Telephone Conference on October 17 (no video).
Equipment needed: Speakerphone
Instructions: Dial into the following conference call number by 1:55 pm ET: (866) 699-3239. Meeting number is 660 716 498 ## (two ##s will put you directly into the call and help you avoid other instructions).
Connecting Via Video Conference on the Internet
- Computer connected to Internet
- Internet connection by DSL, cable, or equivalent (dial up will not likely work well)
- Speakers connected to your computer if you want to listen to the audio over the Internet
- Speakerphone if you do not have speakers connected to your computer, or to use as back up if you have problems connecting via the Internet. Note: a cell phone with external speakers attached can become a speakerphone.
- From your computer, click or copy the below link into a browser address bar:
https://resultsevents.webex.com/resultsevents/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=660716498. Note: this link will only work 30 minutes before the live event (starting at 1:30 pm ET) and during the live event.
- Enter your First name, Last name, and e-mail address.
- Enter the event passcode: welcome.
- If you see something like, “WebEx wants to install an Active X client,” click allow, yes, or ok. This will add a WebEx plug-in to your browser.
- You will then be entered into the WebEx meeting. The audio of the presenters will be heard over your computer speakers.
- If you do not have computer speakers or sound card on your PC, you may click on the “Request” tab on the right side of the screen to view the dial in number for the event, or just dial: (866) 699-3239 Meeting number 660 716 498 # #.
- There will be an on-line technician providing instructions and trouble shooting as you connect to the video conference both during the test and for the live event.
- If you need additional technical assistance for the live event, dial: (866) 229-3239.
- Connect the video conference 15 minutes early if possible. You will be allowed to connect as early as 1:30 pm ET.
How to Make Your Event Count Towards the Guinness World Record
Your Outreach Agenda
Make sure your agenda has:
- Your personal stories to show your activism journey with RESULTS. Your guests will relate to this.
- Illustrations of how we work-advocacy stories about what you and your group have done
- DVD or story on problems/solutions — a way to get people focused on the issues.
- Actions (letter writing, Stand Up, maybe laser talk) to give them a taste of what we do.
- Messages and big ideas for your ask — what kind of opportunity are you offering: e.g. the opportunity to help put 75 million kids in school, or provide microcredit loans to 175 million of the world’s poorest.
- A powerful ask to join your group and become a donor to RESULTS
- Follow Up: ask joiners and donors to fill our a Participation Form and give them some information on RESULTS, a Basics CD, and an invitation to the New Volunteer Orientation (see above)
- Listen to our Training Call #3: Forming Your Powerful Outreach Agenda
After Your Event
Learn About Poverty