2012 Actions and Successes
RESULTS volunteers worked tirelessly to achieve remarkable results for the poorest and most vulnerable. In 2013, they will continue their winning strategies of building strong relationships with members of Congress, local media, and community partners. The national staff continues to build new partnerships so that RESULTS’ reach will be magnified and even more successful in 2013.
- We played a central role in mobilizing the largest-ever U.S. investment for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, which saves 100,000 lives every month. We were also key in protecting and increasing U.S. funding for other critical programs that protect and improve lives, including: expanded childhood immunizations against deadly but preventable diseases, education for girls and marginalized children, and access to microfinance for very poor women.
- We helped protect and extend recent expansions of the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit in the “fiscal cliff” deal for an additional five years for millions of low-income working families. These critical tax credits lift more American children out of poverty than any other program.
- We worked with allies to secure proposed funding increases in both the Senate and the House for Head Start, Early Head Start, and the Child Care Development Block Grant to help ensure kids are healthy, thriving, and can start school ready to learn.
- We brought political and public support to a landmark Call to Action to end preventable childhood deaths globally, generating dozens of pieces of media across the country. We also succeeded in ensuring that a historic State Department Blueprint for an AIDS’ Free Generation gincludes a strong focus on TB, which is the biggest killer of people living with HIV/AIDS.
- We helped secure the signatures of all 17 women senators on a letter to the Prime Minster of Bangladesh demanding the continued independence of the Grameen Bank — founded by Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Muhammad Yunus — and its over eight million women borrowers.
- We’re extending our reach so that we can have even greater impact going forward. There are now RESULTS activists in more states than ever before, and we also now cover an additional 44 representatives! We’ve increased our partnerships and brought in new volunteers through our annual International Conference, which was the largest ever with over 400 participants who met with more than 300 congressional offices!